Adventures with Ciabatta

CiabattaI get these daft ideas sometimes, whilst we're quite happy with the regular bread that I make, I've always wanted to produce something even better. The obvious choice would be a sourdough loaf, but last time I used a sourdough starter the bread was awful. This Ciabatta style loaf goes sort of half-way; it uses a starter, but one with dried yeast rather than relying on natural airborne yeasts.

This bread has a ratio of 75% water to flour and so the dough is very soft and not easy to handle. I wouldn't attempt to make it without a mixer, you'd end up with more dough stuck to your hands than in the bread!

The starter (properly called a poolish or biga) is made the day before the bread dough:

Mix 250gm of bread flour with 1.25gm fast acting yeast and then add 250gm tepid water. Cover loosely and leave.

The next day I put 250gm of this mixture into another bowl and added a further 125gm flour, 125gm water and 1.25gm yeast and put it aside for a couple of hours.

The mixture was then put into my Kenwood Chef mixer and mixed with a further 350gm flour, 200gm water, 3.25gm yeast and 9gm salt. I mixed for 5 minutes with the dough hook. Rested it for ten minutes, just to let the motor cool down, and then mixed for a further 5 minutes.

The dough is now left to rise until 3 times it's original size.

The mix is then tipped out onto a well-floured surface, and I mean well floured, not just a dusting - a fairly thick layer. It is not 'knocked back'; the idea is to keep as much air in it as possible.

At this stage it's a very soft dough. I cut pieces off about the rough shape I wanted and then sort of prodded and patted them to shape. They should get a nice coating of flour during this process. I transferred them, as best I could, to the baking sheet and left to prove until about doubled in size.

They were cooked at 200°C in the fan oven for 25 minutes with oven being sprayed with water 3 times during the first ten minutes of cooking.

The results: well I was very pleased with it, the bread had a very open texture that the photo doesn't really show. It was chewy with a slight crispness to the crust and was even still OK after a couple of days kept in a plastic bag - something that surprised me as it hasn't got any fat added to it. It was even good toasted 3 days after it was made.

...and the rest of the starter? Well I added 125gm flour and 125gm water to it and will use it for my next loaf. On the days I don't make bread I will tip 250gm away and add another 125gm each of flour and water. In time I hope I will be able to make regularly without adding any dried yeast. But, that's for another day...

Used tags:
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • Posterous
  • Reddit
  • Technorati
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks

There are no comments

I'm somewhat incapacitated at present so replies may take some time. Please post urgent enquiries at the forum.

(optional field)
(optional field)

You need to enter the first 3 letters of food in lowercase type for your comment to be allowed

Comment moderation is enabled on this site. This means that your comment will not be visible until it has been approved by an editor.

Remember personal info?
Small print: All html tags except <b> and <i> will be removed from your comment. You can make links by just typing the url or mail-address.
/* */